Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 January 2012

Where do we go from here?

Well, I've done it. Read the Bible in a year. Read every page of this quirky, ancient, peculiar, sacred, wild text.
It's been an exciting year, and one that has changed me in several ways.
I want to say think you to those who have bothered to send congratulations to me on completing the Bible, and thank you to those who followed me some or all of the way. Your company spurred me on.
If this blog was a TV programme, there'd be scope for a few retrospectives. So perhaps I can get away with my top 10 favourite Bible bits, once I've had time to look back through a year's worth of posts.
But what next?
I'm tempted to read through the Apocrypha - those books that Protestant Christians ignore, but Catholics and others regard as part of the Bible. There are some parts I have never read, so it would be an interesting journey.
Perhaps I should go more slowly though a particular part of the Bible, not skating wildly across the surface of all the issues, like I have been doing, but getting stuck in to some of the harder questions. Some of you have challenged me with those questions over the year, and it would be interesting to continue the conversation with you.
So what do you think? If there's anyone still reading my blog, would you like to express an opinion on what you'd like me to tackle next?

5 comments:

  1. the Apocrypha - those books that Protestant Christians ignore

    Not ALL Protestants, thank you very much.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nick

    Guess who, yes its James. I got 3 months into the study and hit the problem with the book of Joshua and couldnt read on. Im still a bit bambozzled with the old testament barbarity thing although im continuing to study for a resolution. I pray every day for some kind of reconcilliation in my mind behind the God i read in those passages and the Loving God i thought i knew. You asked for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter: You know me - sweeping statements are my speciality! Happy New Year to you - hope it's a good one.

    James - at least 2 of my top 10 posts are going to deal with this big issue, as well some others on the loving God I think I know! So please keep reading :-)
    If 2011 was the year your faith in God was changed for ever, perhaps 2012 will bring some resolution to the problems it's caused you. I'm certainly praying for something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have started a Bible in a year plan and although I won't finish it in a year, I'll probably just turn around when I hit the end and start all over at the beginning, seeing what God wants me to hear this time around. That's just what I'd do. Congratulations on finishing it the first time :) That's amazing! Spending that much time in His Word is an amazing thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Megan - it's been a real blessing for me, and I hope and pray your reading will be the same for you.

    ReplyDelete