Search This Blog

Friday 20 January 2012

Best of 2011 #9: Into the New Testament

I had a delicious sense of anticipation as I moved into the New Testament. It was slightly odd reading the Christmas stories in October!

After so many centuries of going round and round and round, it seemed as though something truly new was about to happen. Here's my post from the day when I read about Jesus in the wilderness:

Day 277: The Temptation of Jesus

The people of Israel could never trust God for very long. They always wanted to have a backup. Satan was tempting Jesus to do the same - water down his trust in God, turn to something else. But Jesus passed the test that Israel always failed.

Going on from there, it was like a drink of cold water in the desert. Reading about Jesus as he met friends and enemies, allies and doubters, I was in awe of him all over again. It is very hard to pick one day out of the two weeks or so that I spent on Jesus' early ministry - any one of them would  have done. But here's a post from when his opponents were hardening their hearts.

Day 285: Jesus and Beelzebub


Reading the posts I wrote on Jesus’ ministry, I see how much I am in love with this man. I really do worship the ground he walked on! He loved the people he met, unconditionally and completely. He loved them, friend and foe alike. 

And he changed them. No one came into contact with Jesus and went away the same. Some became disciples captivated by this extraordinary man. Others became enemies, unable to accept the challenge he represented to the way they saw the world. He is so surprising, so fresh and new. Nothing he says can be predicted, but as soon as he has said it, it sounds completely right - the very best thing to say or to do in that particular circumstance.


No comments:

Post a Comment