Search This Blog

Wednesday 11 January 2012

Best of 2011 #4: Two great characters

Reading the Bible in a year helped me get under the skin of some of the great Bible characters. Today, I recall Moses and David.

There is so much that could be said about both of them, so I've had to be selective. Let's first go back to Moses saying goodbye.

Day 74: Moses' final words and song

Although I pretended that Moses was like Frank Sinatra, in reality he was very different from the self-aggrandizing words of the famous song. He was a humble man, a reluctant leader, and a faithful servant of God.

James suspects that the end of his story has been got at. Re-edited after the event by people who wanted to insert "I told you so" into Moses' mouth. I think he's right, but I think it's also more subtle than that. James said that he thought this was written to make Moses say, "You're going to fail." I would say that the intended message is more something like, "You have failed, but all is not lost. You can still choose life."

Anyway, on to David. I am fascinated by the story of David sparing Saul's life when Saul entered the cave where David was hiding. You can read my post about it here, but I also wrote a longer reflection on the story some years ago, which I posted here.

When David was on form, he tuned in to God's heart better than almost anyone. He loved extravagantly, he forgave willingly, and nothing would make him do what was wrong. No matter how crazy it seemed. e earned the unique description from God: "A man after my own heart."

David inspired me to listen more intently to God, to feel what God is feeling, and to act accordingly without fearing the consequences. The times I have done that, I have never regretted doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment