Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 January 2012

Best of 2011 Part 3: The day I lost the plot

The rant that I posted on 21 February attracted comments and twice as many hits as usual. Why? I'd found something in the Bible I just couldn't accept.

The title looks innocent enough: Day 52: The second passover

Now let me make it clear that I find Numbers 5:11-31 unacceptable. If the Tardis had taken back to Israel at this time and made me a priest, I would refuse to perform this instruction from God. For the reasons I said in my post.

But there is more to say. I chose my words about the Tardis carefully, because it implies that if I was alive then, but think as I do now, I couldn't accept this. But if I was alive then, and thought as people did then, it would be different. Even if I was uneasy about it, I would not have the strength of character to refuse, I have no doubt.

So do I think that the way people thought then was wrong? Yes I do. I think we've learned some things in the centuries since Numbers 5. Would I have gone along with it, if I had lived then. Most certainly. We can't escape our times, and all of us in every age are guilty of ignoring great wickedness. 21st century people are not excluded.

But there's one important word in this ugly passage that is worth taking note of. If you want to read the passage, do it now. Leviticus 5:11-31

Did you spot it? Jealousy. In the NIV it comes 6 times. An ugly passage for an ugly feeling. Wronged love leads to very violent feelings indeed, and some sort of controlled arbitration between husband and wife is a lot better than him beating the living daylights out of her.

But it's also a word that's used of God. When the Israelites went astray, God is jealous. When his love is wronged, violent feelings arise in him. Or at least, that's the nearest we can get to understanding what goes on in the heart of God when he is rejected by his creatures. The pages of the prophets simmer with divine rage.

But they are also shot through with incredible divine forbearance and mercy.

Yes, this passage isn't pretty. But it's not the whole story.

No comments:

Post a Comment