Search This Blog

Sunday 8 January 2012

The best bits of 2011 Part 1

OK so it's getting a little late for a retrospective, so let's get on with it while we can still remember 2011.

Scholarship tells us that Job is one pf the oderst p[arts of the Bible, so that's where I found myself after only a week or so. Here's one of my early posts: Day 10: Job part 6.

Ok, if you've taken the trouble to read that, welcome back! As you can see, my frustration was mounting. It's not that Job is irrelevant today - his central question "Why does God allow suffering?" has been asked no end of times in 2011 - what I found hard to take was that the book never really makes any progress. It just goes round and round and round.

Perhaps I'm fortunate. I've never been trapped in a horrible situation that seems to go on with out end. If I was, I might like Job for company. As it is, it's good to know that the questions can be asked, I was left wishing that they could be asked more pithily, and only once or twice.

And that the answers might not be provided by such boneheads and Job so-called "comforters".

So why has the book of Job survived for so long?

You want my guess?

Sheer dogged presistence.

No comments:

Post a Comment