Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 February 2011

Day 46: The Offerings

 Another full on day today. I'm doing a presentation tonight on my sabbatical research into young people and the internet. I was up late last night finishing it off (still not finished!) and as soon as I've finished my Bible reading I've got to crack on with final preparations.
Nothing but the best will do. I’ve experienced this as a tension in my Christian life. I sometimes call myself a musician (although I’ve got no real ability to justify the name) and when I offer music to God in church, it isn’t that great, to be honest. So should I shut up and let the experts sing? Or should everybody be allowed to bring their offering, whether it’s in tune or not? Let’s see if today’s readings shed any light...

The meal offering of flour
Leviticus 2:1-11
The offering of first fruits
Leviticus 2:12-16
Concerning the meal offering
Leviticus 6:14-23
The fellowship offering of the herd
Leviticus 3:1-5
The fellowship offering of the flock
Leviticus 3:6-17
Concerning the fellowship and wave offerings, and food prohibitions
Leviticus 7:11-36
The sin offering of ignorance for the priest
Leviticus 4:1-12

Everybody in the community is required to make an offering of grain - a loaf of bread or similar, the staple food. This isn’t something for experts only, it’s for everyone. There are other offerings that the priestly caste make on behalf of everyone, but there is something here for us all to do. I’m encouraged by this - it avoids the danger that I’m sometimes aware of - that people kind of expect professional Christians to be holy for them: “say one for me, vicar!” You go and be religious on my behalf, then I don’t have to bother.
I’m happy to be paid to have the time to pray for others, but not happy if people use that as an excuse not to have their own relationship with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment