Search This Blog

Sunday 13 February 2011

Day 44: Priestly Ministry

So now for the priests. I expect to feel ambivalent about this subject. First of all I am one, secondly I am not. I don’t want to be a priest like this - a mediator between people and their God. I want to get out of the way so people can see God. Also, I’m not a butcher. Aaron and his sons had to be. Thank God I don’t have to offer sacrifices!

Moses hears God’s voice
Numbers 7:89
Aaron’s sons’ ministry described
Numbers 3:1-3, Leviticus 7:35-36
Consecration of Aaron
Leviticus 8:1-36
Ministry of priests begins
Leviticus 9:1-24
Unauthorised fire of Nadab & Abihu
Leviticus 10:1-7, Numbers 3:4

With great care and scrupulous detail, the ordination of Aaron and his sons is described. All goes well, until at the very end of the week long process, Aaron’s two eldest sons do something out of turn, offering unauthorised fire. For this they die. Again I’m reminded of God being dangerous, and if he is not approached with care, lives will be lost. But it seems such a trivial error - there is no sense on the text that their motives were wrong, they simply made a mistake. Three little words hint at Aaron’s feelings; “Aaron remained silent.” (Leviticus 10:3) What was he thinking? I’m reminded of Judah, one of Jacob’s sons, who lost his own son and nearly lost his way. Later, Judah showed sympathy to Joseph’s plight, because he knows how a bereaved father feels.
Aaron, join the club.

2 comments:

  1. I thought the discussions regarding priests was very interesting. I was raised semi-catholic until I was in the 4th grade so I identify with catholicism more than other religions. I have had several people tell me over the years that their biggest issue with the catholic church is that you have to talk to priests. I was interested to find that the bible refers to priests and that God speaks of priests. I have had people tell me that they think in Catholicism you are not allowed to talk to God that you must talk to a priest. I have never felt that way. Do you have a take on this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - thanks for the comment. As you've probably worked out, I am a priest, although I prefer to call myself a minister. I feel strongly that everybody can come to God by themselves, they don't need to go through an intermediary, the way the Israelites have been taught.
    I'm not a catholic, and I don't know everything about Catholicism today, so I probably shouldn't comment out of my ignorance. But..
    There is a bit of a tendency to think that "Father knows best" in some churches, and I really can't abide that. So you're hearing my prejudiced reactions against the idea of putting all your trust in priests. We're only human, and all too often, we let people down badly.
    Still, it's great to hear that you've never felt that you need us to get through to God. I hope I can learn from you, and who knows, maybe it'll work a bit the other way round too.

    ReplyDelete