Search This Blog

Saturday 12 February 2011

Day 43: Tabernacle Completed

The title for today suggests that the instructions for the worshipping civil service are nearly finished. I hope so. People say that you can tell how important a subject is by how many column inches are devoted to it - if that’s true of the Bible, then the Israelites were very anal indeed. I don’t want to be rude about the law, I know how precious it is to Jews, but it isn’t as exciting for the casual reader as a good blood and guts story. I suppose I’m not exactly a casual reader, I’m trying to get meaning from these words. Obviously if I was descended from one of these tribes, it would be thrilling to hear my ancestral name. But I’m not, so it’s hard to connect.

Moses performs all as directed
Exodus 40:16-33
Aaron lights the lamps
Numbers 8:1-4
Cloud covers tabernacle
Exodus 40:34-35
Gifts and offerings brought at the dedication of the Tabernacle
Numbers 7:1-88

“So the tabernacle was set up on the first day of the first month in the second year” Exodus 40:17) That’s pretty quick work - assuming they’re dating their calendar from the Exodus event itself, which I seem to remember they are, then within a year, they’ve built this thing, and got the system up and running. Impressive organisation. Beats Wembley stadium.
When the Tabernacle was dedicated, the cloud of God’s presence filled it, so that Moses couldn’t go in. This symbol of God’s presence will be repeated in years to come, when the Temple is built.
Numbers 7 details (lovingly!) the offerings made by the head of each of the tribes. All carefully choreographed, they bring forward identical amounts of the finest things they possess. It’s not just the English who can do pomp and circumstance - the Israelites got there first!

No comments:

Post a Comment