Search This Blog

Thursday 26 May 2011

Day 147: Wise sayings

Pile up enough grains of sand, and you’ve got a mountain. The little Proverbs continue to mount up into a tower of meaning.

Honourable conduct
Proverbs 20:1-3
Wise counsel
Proverbs 20:4-21
The way of the Lord
Proverbs 20:22-30
The importance of justice
Proverbs 21:1-31
The importance of prudence
Proverbs 22:1-5
Wise teaching
Proverbs 22:6-16
The saying of wise men
Proverbs 22:17-29, 23:1-14
The blessing of a wise son
Proverbs 23:15-25
Warnings against vice
Proverbs 23:26-35
The way of wisdom
Proverbs 24:1-14

There is much today about scorning the temptations of wealth. Don’t eat too much, don’t drink too much, don’t get addicted, keep yourself lean and hungry. All sorts of things can lead us away from God - simple pleasures can fill our horizons until we lose sight of what really matters.
It’s good for me to reflect what I do instead of spending time with God. Doing my daily Bible reading has been a helpful discipline - I haven’t found myself short of time because of it, I’ve simply wasted less time online instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment