Search This Blog

Wednesday 18 May 2011

Day 139: Building programme completed

God sends the seal of his approval - his presence in fire and cloud - into the Temple. But he gives Solomon a warning, what I have given, I can take away.
The glory of the Lord
2 Chronicles 7:1-3
Solomon’s peace offerings
1 Kings 8:62-66, 2 Chronicles 7:4-10
God, the supreme king
Psalm 99
A hymn of praise
Psalm 100
Building programme finished
1 Kings 9:1, 2 Chronicles 7:11
God warns Solomon
1 Kings 9:2-9, 2 Chronicles 7:12-22
Solomon and Hiram
1 Kings 9:10-14, 2 Chronicles 8:1-2
Hamath Zobah conquered
2 Chronicles 8:3
Solomon’s wife’s house
1 Kings 9:24, 2 Chronicles 8:11
Love’s beginning
Song of Solomon 1:1-17

From time to time God has appeared to people in fire. There was the burning bush on Mount Sinai, the pillar of cloud by day and fire by night that led them through the wilderness, God’s presence on the top of Mount Sinai that sounds from the description like a volcano. Now, fire and cloud are mentioned again, filling the Temple, receiving the sacrificial offerings, putting a seal of approval on Solomon’s work.
God has moved in.
God then speaks to Solomon, with an answer and a warning. He answers the prayer that Solomon prayed very specifically, “if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14) But he adds a warning, that if Solomon turns away from God, then he will uproot Israel and leave them ruined.

2 comments:

  1. Gentle Jesus, loving Savior, how I'm longing after Thee,
    Waiting on my lonely altar for Thy fire to fall on me.
    Precious Jesus, ever tender, burn with Thy perfecting flame,
    'Till no part of me is left here, but doth glorify Thy name!
    Take my ashes from the altar, let them precious incense be,
    Offered up for a sweet savor, and well-pleasing unto Thee.
    Then, on this, my tabernacle, let Thy cloudy pillar rest,
    As a sign my tabernacle is now sanctified, and blessed!

    Nick,
    This is a poem that the Lord blessed me to write years ago when He started to reveal to me the truths about the tabernacle. I want to share some of what the Lord has shown me with you.
    All of the sacrifices that were offered were a foreshadowing of Jesus, the Lamb of God, that takes away the sins of the world. Jn 1:36
    The priests that offered the sacrifices were a foreshadowing of Jesus, our merciful and faithful High priest in things pertaining to God. Heb. 2:7
    The laver that the priests washed in was a foreshadowing of Jesus. It represents the truth that Jesus taught His disciples.
    "Now you are clean through the word that I have spoken unto you" Jn. 15:3

    26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
    27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
    Eph. 5: 26-27
    SANCTIFY THEM THROUGH THY TRUTH: thy word is truth.
    Jn 17:17

    The seven candlesticks represents the seven fold light of God, the seven spirits of God listed in Isa. 11:2. This is a prophecy about the Lord Jesus.

    1 And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots:
    2 And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD;
    There is more I would like to tell you, but this is enough for now. If you want to know more, private message me on bible-discussion.com. I go by arelle68.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Arelle, for that comment. I am trying (unsuccessfully, I know) not to read in to the passages too much of my knowledge of how the story ends, so to speak.
    I am a Christian, and so I see plenty of foreshadowings of Jesus in the first part of the Bible, but I am keen to let the words speak to me afresh, as best as I can.

    ReplyDelete