Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 May 2011

Day 131: David’s instructions

I thought I was getting off lightly with just one day of David’s last words. Turns out there’ll be three days of them instead.

David’s hymn of praise
Psalm 145:9-21
David’s directions concerning the Temple
1 Chronicles 28:11-21
In praise of the Creator
Psalm 104
David speaks of God’s protection
Psalm 124
He praises brotherly love
Psalm 133
His prayer for help
Psalm 86
His instructions regarding giving
1 Chronicles 29:1-9
His thanksgiving
1 Chronicles 29:10-13

David wants to stay in control as long as possible. He gives Solomon precise instructions, and in words reminiscent of Moses to Joshua, tells him to “Be strong and courageous, and do the work.” (1 Chron 28:20) He also claims to have heard from God exactly what the design of the Temple should be. At the end of his life, David seems to be imitating Moses as much as he can, in the style of his farewell speech, in his organising of the nation’s worship, and in his encouragement of his successor.
More Psalms to read, some of which seem to fit well in this context (Psalm 104: 33 - “I will sing to the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.”) Others less so, Psalm 124 sounds more like relief after a battle victory, and Psalm 86 reads like it was written when David was on the run - he calls himself “poor and needy,” he says, “a band of ruthless men seeks my life.”
I must count up how many Psalms I have read in connection with David’s life - it will be 94 by the time I finish, well over half the Psalter. I’m sure they weren’t all written by David, but they have given a special insight into his character.

No comments:

Post a Comment