Search This Blog

Wednesday 10 August 2011

Day 224: Ezekiel’s second vision

Wow! This is incredible stuff. The hardest, strongest, dirtiest depiction of sin and judgement I’ve ever read.
The desolation of the land
Ezekiel 7:1-15
The distress of the law
Ezekiel 7:16-22
The captivity
Ezekiel 7:23-27
Idolatry in Jerusalem
Ezekiel 8:1-6
The hole in the wall
Ezekiel 8:7-12
Mourning for Tammuz
Ezekiel 8:13-14
The sun worshippers
Ezekiel 8:15-16
The Lord’s response
Ezekiel 8:17-18
Marked men
Ezekiel 9:1-11
The Lord’s departure
Ezekiel 10:1-15

Disaster! Doom ! Catastrophe! Calamity! Ezekiel 7 contains the most extravagant description of bad news I think I’ve ever read. I can’t resist quoting verse 17: “Every hand will go limp; every leg will be wet with urine.”
Chapter 8 contains an extraordinary vision - Ezekiel is shown the leaders of Israel doing shameful things in the darkness. It’s graphic, it’s like a newspaper exposé. It’s like phone hacking. Knowing you’ve seen it makes you feel dirty.
Chapter 9 is a chilling execution of judgement - unfeeling men like robots march through the city, cutting down all those who are not sorry for their misdeeds. Ezekiel screams out for it to stop, but God is remorseless.
And then, terribly, with a chilling sense of finality, chapter 10 records the glory of God lifting off from Jerusalem and leaving the Temple for what seems like for ever. The presence of God, which has been there since Solomon dedicated the Temple centuries ago, has left. God has turned his back in disgust.
I am shaking as I read this - I feel like I've been punched repeatedly. Never have I encountered such a powerful condemnation of sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment