Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 April 2011

Day 103: David in difficulties

Saul’s jealousy against David turns rabid, and David flees for his life. So much for being anointed king! He probably doubts if he will see tomorrow.

Jonathan’s covenant with David
1 Samuel 20:12-23
Saul seeks to kill Jonathan
1 Samuel 20:24-34
Jonathan and David part
1 Samuel 20:35-42
David’s prayer
Psalm 26
David flees to Ahimelech
1 Samuel 21:1-9
David’s praise of God’s goodness
Psalm 34
David’s prayer of trust in God
Psalm 56

David cannot stay at the king’s court any longer, and after a painful parting from Jonathan he runs for it. What are his feelings at this time? Psalm 26 tells us that he feels himself to be in the right, and that he looks to God for vindication. Psalm 34 is a calm song of hope - to me it belongs a little later in David’s story, and I might mention it again then. Psalm 56 shows strong emotion: “Record my misery; list my tears on your scroll.” but ends with confidence: “In God I trust and am not afraid. What can man do to me?”
David’s song writing enabled him to process his negative emotions and renew his trust in God. It’s a shame Saul couldn’t do the same. But I thank God for David, who has given a gift that generations of people of faith have used - when we are under the cosh, we read David's words and renew our trust in God.

No comments:

Post a Comment