Search This Blog

Wednesday 24 February 2016

Luke 8:4-15: Let me tell you a story

Earlier on, Luke gave us a big chunk of Jesus' teaching. It sounded like a sermon. But he had other ways of teaching too - and now Luke is going to introduce us to his amazing ability to tell a story.

Jesus deployed the parable with remarkable effect. An innocent little story, simply told, with a hidden meaning. The disciples get the explanation given to them, and Luke allows us to listen in, so that we will understand in future how parables work.

This is that. It's not actually about a farmer going out to sow, it's about God speaking out his message into the world. Some of the 'soil' that receives the word will be receptive, some won't, for reasons that Jesus expands on.

This (the seed) is that (God's word).

This (the soil) is that (my heart).

Am I dry or stony? Am I overgrown with weeds? Or do I hear God's word, cling to it, and patiently produce a huge harvest?

Oh for a bigger harvest, Lord! I want to be fruitful for you, and fear that I am not. Help me examine myself, and take stock of where I go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment