Search This Blog

Monday 15 February 2016

Luke 6:46-49: Firm foundations

Jesus brings his sermon to an end with a fabulously famous parable.

But there's a challenge in his words. "Why do you keep calling me 'Lord, Lord' if you don't do what I say?"

Well Jesus, it's quite hard to do what you say - it's so radical. I'm not sure if I can give up having enemies, or if I can give up judging people, because I won't know where I stand otherwise. Everything will seem so different without those familiar landmarks to guide me.

But the challenge remains - if you (or I) listen to Jesus' words and put them into practice, we will find ourselves standing secure. We will have to dig deep - this isn't going to be easy - but down there is solid bedrock and a guarantee of safety from God himself.

The alternative is quick and easy, but when a storm comes, which it surely will, we will be flooded out and swept away.

So what do I prefer? Life without landmarks, or life without foundations?

No comments:

Post a Comment