Search This Blog

Wednesday 7 September 2011

'Jesus' mobile phone ad banned


Am I odd in not feeling offended by the Phones4U advert?
Around Easter time, there was a “cheeky” advert featuring a picture of Jesus smiling and winking, and the caption, “Miraculous deals on phones.”
98 people complained to the advertising standards authority, who responded by banning the advert and saying, “[the adverts] were offensive and the use of the term "miraculous", especially during Easter, was disrespectful to the Christian faith.”
Those who complained apparently were saying that the image of Jesus “micked and belittled” the Christian faith.
So why can't I see what the fuss is about?
Could it be that I don't want to belong to a religion that is so prickly about its image that it can't take a joke?
Maybe it's because hearing news stories of other religions taking violent offence at perceived slurs makes me think, “Thank goodness Christians aren't like that.”
Anyway, if you pass me in the street and feel inclined to indulge in a little well-intentioned teasing of my job or my faith, rest assured I WON'T START FOAMING AT THE MOUTH!
Curiously and coincidentally, I accidentally hit Caps Lock while typing that last sentence.
And decided to let it stay. Ironically, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment