Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 July 2017

Isaiah 1:21-26: The Social Situation

The next section we are going to look at is nicely delineated by a "bookend" repeated phrase: faithful city. The first time Isaiah says it, it's ironic: "faithful city? NOT!" The second time it's genuine.

The little phrase that jumped out at me in reading this was from verse 26. Variously translated as "I will turn my hand against you" or "I will raise my fist against you." It actually refers to a a backhanded swipe, which in Middle Eastern culture has long been a calculated insult. It's got the sense of hitting a man while he's down. So we've heard about what a poor state Judah is in - shorn of the northern 10 tribes, still complacent about their worship - it's like their silver has been turned to dross and their wine has been watered down.

But God's backhand doesn't knock them out, it actually reverses the damage."I will purge away your dross, I will restore your leaders as in days of old."

What a mighty God Yahweh is! To reverse centuries of decay and complacency with just a wave of his hand! How little the people deserve it. This is the first intimation of what I expect to be a powerful theme throughout Isaiah's writings - God is so much bigger than the people think.

So there's a promise here - trust me, your faithful God, and I will truly make you into a faithful city.

No comments:

Post a Comment