Search This Blog

Friday 10 June 2011

Day 162: The godly Jehoshaphat

So far, in my journey through the Bible, I have mostly resisted comment on what effect it is having on me personally. I think I’m going to have to change that soon, because the effects are real, and they are building up.
Micaiah summoned
1 Kings 22:7-9, 2 Chronicles 18:6-8
His true prophecy
1 Kings 22:13-28, 2 Chronicles 18:12-27
Ahab’s death
1 Kings 22:29-40, 2 Chronicles 18:28-34
Jehoshaphat rebuked
2 Chronicles 19:1-7
God, the supreme ruler
Psalm 82
Jehoshaphat restores order
2 Chronicles 19:8-11

Ahab dies as he had lived - in confusion. His abandonment of God led to moral confusion, here in battle he has been misled by lying prophets, unable to hear the true word of God, and he dies in disguise, still pretending to be fit and well - a pointless gesture, because, if he is disguised, neither his enemies nor his own army will know who he is. Confusion and futility.
By contrast, Jehoshaphat is safe in battle, and fights in his own colours. He is not perfect, but he does well. Chronicles lovingly details his instructions to the judges in his towns and cities to judge faithfully and with courage. He has a love for the truth.

So what is this daily Bible reading doing to me? I can’t say that every day I am being hit by a blinding revelation. Often it’s just a slog, but the daily discipline is proving easier than I feared.
No - what is happening so far, is that twice I have seen my life in a very clear perspective, and come to realise things that people have been telling me for some time. I’m going to need to make changes in my life, and I haven’t been listening to the people closest telling me that it’s necessary for some years. Why have I realised these things now? I don’t know, but I suspect it’s because I have renewed by commitment to soak in God’s word every day.
I have become stale, lazy and distracted. I think God is telling me it’s time to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment