Search This Blog

Wednesday 6 March 2019

A different way to read the Bible

I love the Bible.
I can't get enough of this wonderful, unique book. I like to read something of it every day, and strive to understand it more as time goes by.
And I'm always excited to find new and different ways to encounter it.
21st century Christians are used to a couple of particular ways of engaging with the Bible. Usually, they involve taking a very small chunk, and either listening to it in church and hearing a sermon about it, or reading it at home, perhaps with the aid of some notes that try to explain it.
There's nothing wrong with this, but sometimes just taking tiny bites doesn't satisfy. I want to have a square meal.
The ancient church did things differently. They used to meet to hear the Bible read aloud, without a sermon following, just great chunks of unadulterated scripture.
So I thought maybe I could try that with my church.

This Lent, I've set myself a challenge.
I'm going to memorise the Sermon on the Mount - I should be able to manage that in 40 days - and then sometime soon after Easter I won't preach a sermon, I'll just speak it out, as if we were hearing it straight from the lips of Jesus himself.
Just an experiment.
I'll be interested to hear what people think.

No comments:

Post a Comment