Search This Blog

Thursday 10 December 2015

Next year, it's back to the Bible

Christmas is coming, and the goose, apparently, is getting fat.

I've decided it's time for another online Bible reading - athon ... thing. Some years ago, I read through the Bible in a year, blogging every day. Then I tried to do the same with the Apocrypha, but gave up due to boredom.

My plan this time round isn't as ambitious, I'm simply going to read Luke and Isaiah. A little bit of Luke every day will take me up until May, then a slightly bigger bit of Isaiah will take me through the rest of the year.

Why have I chosen those two books? Well, Luke because a vicar colleague and friend was telling me how he spent more than a year preaching his way through the whole of Luke's gospel, and I liked the sound of that. Also, if you know what the word lectionary means, then chances are you'll also know that you'll be hearing some of Luke nearly every Sunday from now until the end of November 2016.

As for Isaiah, it's long been a favourite book, but I only really know it in bits. There are lots of famous bits, some of which we are reading now as Christmas approaches. Others will be brought out at Easter. But I want to try and get a grasp of the book as a whole. Is it one book, or three? And is Isaiah a name, or was it a club, to which certain prophets belonged? I won't reach an answer to these questions, but I'll have fun thinking about them.

So that's my plan. You're welcome to read along with me, starting on January 1st. Or to dip in and out whenever you feel like it. Write me a comment, let me know that you're there - it will be a great encouragement. And please disagree with what I say. I can guarantee that a large chunk of it will be completely wrong.

Trouble is, I don't know which chunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment