Search This Blog

Friday 26 July 2013

Rhythmic prayer - progress?

Well it's no secret that this prayer journey of mine hasn't been plain sailing. It's coincided with one of the busiest periods of my life for a decade, and just recently with one of those suspicious illnesses that just happen arrive just as I've got time for them.
Yes, this last week I've been ill, After singing with a sore throat on Sunday, I could hardly speak on Monday, and have been full of cold all week. Sleeping badly, with aching limbs and throbbing head each day, I have cancelled appointments and ignored the sunshine, and laid on my bed of pain.
I'd been looking forward to this week as a time to catch up on the things I'd postponed for too long. All those people I'd neglected to call or visit. All those emails and bits of paper not responded to.All those tasks that weren't counted as urgent, waiting for me to summon the time to carry them out.
None of them done!
Not even prayer.
All I've been able to do is to start one or two things that I hope will become habits - little actions that remind me of God and certain points in the day. Trivial really, but I hope worthwhile.
When I wash my face, I splash water on to my face three times, in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. And I think about God, while I'm lathering the soap.
And I'm lingering longer in front of hand dryers in public toilets. That sounds ominous, doesn't it! Rather than a token waft under the asthmatic lukewarm breeze, followed by a swift wipe on the trousers, I hold my hands there until they are dry. Or until the machine cuts off. And while I'm doing that, I pray.
So next time you're in the pub with e and I nip out to the toilets, and I'm gone a long time ... now you know what I'm doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment