Search This Blog

Friday 11 May 2012

Sirach Chapters 20 & 21


I suppose my verdict so far on this book would be “yes but?” I don’t disagree with what I’m reading (much) but it’s hardly new, or deep, or revolutionary. So I’m shifting to two chapters a day, to get through it a little faster. If I stumble across a gem, I’ll slow down and take a closer look, but otherwise, for my own sake, I need to stave off boredom.

Today there are a strong of proverbs, some quite salty. Like this one: Winning an argument by trying too hard is like a eunuch trying to rape a woman(!) Or this: An impolite person is like one of those off-color stories that ignorant people are always telling.
Chapter 21 deals with sin - it causes incurable wounds, it needs to be shunned. Fall into its trap, and you will die. There’s a brief mention of forgiveness, but it’s certainly not held out as a universal hope.
The chapter finishes with some contrasts between wisdom and folly. All very black and white, none very memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment