Search This Blog

Friday 16 December 2011

You're nothing but a pseud...

Someone who follows my blog commented on Twitter, asking me if I thought that the letters to Timothy and Titus really were written by Paul. Many (most) theologians think that they were not, that they were what is technically called pseudapigraphal writings, that is, written by someone else but in the name of Paul.
Well, he put it more pithily that that ...
"@nlsharp deutero-Paul ?"
These days we react badly to the idea that someone used another person's name to write in. We prize originality so highly, consider plagiarism a crime, and in our online lives feel anxious and insecure when we don't know who it really is that we are talking to.
But 2000 years ago, people thought differently. Signing your letter with a famous person's name was a legitimate way to get yourself listened to.

All this raises two questions.
Who really did write Paul's letters? and Why didn't I mention this in my previous posts?
I'll tackle the second question first.
I have taken the Bible pretty much at face value as I've gone through the year, putting to one side what I think I know about it, and trying to let it speak to me fresh. So if it says Paul on the tin, I've tried to let myself assume that it's Paul in the tin. Why? I didn't want to get bogged down with questions that can't be completely answered. which might be akin to wondering how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
It's the same when I'm preaching, I don;t tend to go into details about authorship unless I feel it's germane to the point of the passage. Is this dishonest? To me, it's about not getting distracted. If you disagree (and I'm fine with that) please let me know with a comment.

So to the second question. Who really did write it?
Well, the honest answer is that we don't know.
Scholars say that it doesn't sound like Paul, the subject matter isn't usual for him, and it's not quite up to his standard.
Then again, if you saw a shopping list written by me, when all the other writings of mine you'd come across was this blog, you might say the same.
The key point surely is - does it matter? Pseudapigraphy isn't an attempt at deception, it's more a way of joining in a community, continuing the conversation.
Bit like a blog, in a way.
So go on, tell me. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nick,
    Thanks for responding to my very brief tweet with a blog post. – I am honoured.
    I do think it matters to know these things.
    If we suppose that the Letters to Timothy and Titus were written by a follower of Paul, then we can ask how this follower is interpreting Paul’s preaching, or even modifying it; and what their reasons may have been. In other words, we can recognise a conversation taking place; and this, in turn, may help us with our own conversations in the church today.
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete