Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 July 2011

Day 194: God’s people comforted

The suffering servant - who is he? What did Isaiah see, coming in the shadows of the future?
Christ, the sinbearer
Isaiah 53:1-12
The Lord’s never-ending love
Isaiah 54:1-10
The future Jerusalem
Isaiah 54:11-17
God’s offer of mercy
Isaiah 55:1-13
God’s worldwide invitation
Isaiah 56:1-8
Israel’s leaders condemned
Isaiah 56:9-12
Israel;s idolatry condemned
Isaiah 57:1-13
God’s promise of help and healing
Isaiah 57:14-21

If any Jewish people read this, they might justly be annoyed at the heading referring to Christ in chapter 53. As I’ve said before, I’m lifting the headings from Cover to Cover, the reading plan I’m following. But it’s hard for Christians not to see the face of Jesus on the shadowy figure of the servant. I know it’s not a perfect fit, but it’s a pretty close one. Indeed the whole of these chapters seem to be soaked in the Christian understanding of salvation and redemption. This is where we’ve got it from, largely. This Jewish prophet has told us Christians what to think. We should be so grateful to a man who lived 25 centuries ago, and who saw so clearly into the heart of God that he inspires us still.
I love these words from chapter 57: “I live on high, in holiness, and also with the crushed and the lowly.” (57:15) This is the God I believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment