Search This Blog

Sunday 16 January 2011

Day 16: The death of Abraham

So today we complete the story of Abraham - a story told in great detail, yet much of it I find hard to understand. I don't feel as though I've got a grasp of the man's character, his actions puzzle me. Maybe the historical distance is too great. Maybe I don't understand enough of the culture to pick up the clues. I admire him for his faith and his sense of honour, but I'm perplexed at his lying and cheating, and his lack of regard (so it seems to me) for the people dependent on him.

Isaac marries Rebekah
Genesis 24:1-67, 25:20
Abraham's children by Keturah
Genesis 25:1-4, 1 Chronicles 1:32-33
Isaac heir of all things
Genesis 25:5-6
Death of Abraham
Genesis 25:7-10
Death of Shem
Genesis 11:11
Isaac blessed
Genesis 25:11
Birth of Esau and Jacob
Genesis 25:19, 21-26
Death of Eber
Genesis 11:17

A beautiful story of God's guidance, as Abraham's servant finds Rebekah, granddaughter of Abraham's brother, as wife for Isaac. The story is told in loving detail slowly and with care, so that we can savour it.
For a moment there's some tension: in 25:21 we read that Rebekah was childless. Oh no! Not more painful waiting? But then she conceives twins, who are rivals in the womb, and rivals ever after. There could be trouble ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment