Search This Blog

Thursday 9 September 2010

Have we got the same Bible?

In the news yesterday, a US pastor defiantly plans to burn as many copies of the Koran as he can on September 11th.
Terry Jones, from the Dove World Outreach Center in Florida, is reported as saying "It is possibly time for us in a new way to actually stand up, confront terrorism."
Makes me wonder if he and I have got the same Bible. Today I was reading Luke chapter 6.  It has stuff in it about loving your enemies, doing good to those who hate you, and not reverting to  a kind of tribalism: only scratching the back of those who you can reasonably expect to scratch yours in return.
So if (and it's a big if, so big I can't personally swallow it whole) Muslims are my enemies, Jesus tells me to love them, do them a favour, help them out. If they steal my coat, I should offer them my shirt. In short, I should do to others as I would  have them do to me.
I'm puzzled. How does Terry read his Bible and come to this conclusion?
Has he really got the same one as me?